Friday, January 30, 2009

The Tao of Proliferative Acting

You may never have heard of Brian Dennehy, but odds are that youve seen him in at least a few films. The Husky character actor who's imdb page boasts over 150 roles including parts in Ratatouille, Cocoon, Rambo, Tommy Boy, and most notably the lead role in Death of a Salesman.



Brian Dennehy: corpulent character actor

While hardly an A-list star, and lacking any sort of recognition factors despite years of work, his acting has had a huge impact on his life, arguably more than any other actor. His impact on me rivals the impact he is seen making on the disco ball below.



Brian Dennehy specifically has had a huge impact on my career. Just over a year ago is when it happened, when I, way in over my head, was invited to an interview for a position that I really had scant chance if any of being offered. The following exchange actually happened, the players are The Interviewer (played by Meryl Streep), Me (played by Dustin Hoffman), My Brain (played by Krang, google it).

I: "Hello, sorry for the wait." (she introduces herself)

M: "Oh, no problem."

I: "So I see here that you're from Toronto"

M: "Yes, ma'am, my whole family lives there."

I: "Yes, its a lovely city, My husband and I go up there every year for the Stratford Theater Festival"

B: (Thinks back to a blurb in the Toronto Star from a few weeks back about Christopher Plummer playing Caesar in Caesar and Cleopatra this year at Stratford, then thinking back to Grade 12 English with Mrs. Burrows and her talking something idontknowwhat about Christopher Plummer in King Lear at Stratford)

M: :Ah, yes, are you looking forward to seeing Christoopher Plummer there this year? I read that he will be in Caesar and Cleopatra this year. I might add, he was quite good in King Lear a few years back."

I: "Oh indeed, Christopher Plummer is a fine stage actor. I'm very much looking forward to that. You know who else I think is great, that Brian Dennehy."

B: First Thought - (Mind is blown) Great Googly Moogly! Brian Friggin Dennehy I know that guy!

B: Second Thought - (Thinks back to Patton Oswalt's comedy album - Werewolves and Lollipops, where he talks about eating desserts with Brian Dennehy at the Batman Begins Premiere, where Brian Dennehy says “Character actors! Who gives a fuck if we’re fat?!”)



B: Third Thought - (Thinks back to South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, specifically to the song "What would Brian Boitano do?" which features a non sequiter reference to the pudgy character actor at the 1:05 mark)



B: Fourth Thought - (Thinks back to watching Ratatouille and liking it so much that it warranted going home and reading the Wikipedia of the entire cast and crew of the film including - Brian Dennehy!)

M: "I totally agree, Brian Dennehy is a great character actor, ive enjoyed so much of his work, he was great as Willu Lohman in Death of a Salesman. And hes just so instantly recognizable from his work. Recently I was watching the children's film Ratatouille and it immediately came to me that he was voicing one of the characters."

I: "Oh absolutely hes just a grat character actor and so effective in those bit parts. I certainly hope to see you at Stratford this year"

M: (Politely nods, despite never having been to Stratford or veiwing any play that wasn't put on by second graders in an elementary school gymnasium)

After that, things went very smoothly and in the end everything worked out. And its all because of Brian Dennehy!


Brian Dennehy (seen on right) Helping another young man (Barack Obama?) on his path to acheiving something in 'A Season on the Brink' (2002).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home